Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Man arrested, two officers hurt, in fallout of London armed standoff

Must read

Article content

A London man was arrested, and two police officers taken to hospital with serious injuries, following an armed standoff at an apartment building in the city’s northeast Saturday.

Article content

The day-long dramatics began after police discovered a seriously injured man on the eighth floor of the building shortly after 5 a.m. He was later pronounced dead.

Article content

London police said late Saturday a suspect at the centre of the standoff at 621 Kipps Lane was taken into custody without incident around 8:30 p.m.

A gun was recovered from the scene, police said.

Earlier, paramedics took two police officers to hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries, police said. Police did not disclose specific details about the officers’ injuries.

While London police hadn’t released the identity of the man who died Saturday, friends identified him as Joel Cameron.

“He was a super-nice guy,” friend Paul Maybury said in a Facebook message exchange Saturday evening. “He was always the guy that would do whatever he could to help anybody out and would never hurt a fly.”

Maybury, who first met Cameron a decade ago through a mutual friend, said Cameron, a man in his 40s, had an adult son.

A member of the London police emergency response unit removes a gun from the back of a vehicle before entering 621 Kipps Lane, where an armed man barricaded himself inside an apartment Saturday after a man was found dead earlier. (Dale Carruthers/The London Free Press)

The early morning death investigation led officers to discover a man, believed to be armed, barricaded in an apartment unit. Members of the police emergency response unit and uniformed officers descended on the scene and closed a large section of Adelaide Street North, between Huron Street and Windermere Road, and Kipps Lane as a precaution.

Nearby residents were forced by police to leave their homes during the armed standoff. Police said Saturday night all displaced residents, except ones at 621 Kipps Lane, had been allowed to return to their homes.

Article content

Adelaide Street North and Kipps Lane have since reopened, police say.

At least eight police cruisers and a forensic investigation van remained outside 621 Kipps Lane Saturday at 10:30 p.m.

Police had not publicly identified the man taken into custody Saturday evening, and no charges had been announced.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 519-661-5670 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Latest article